Thursday, August 18, 2016

Release

I consider myself some version of a control freak... I know, it isn't a good trait. When it comes to most tasks, I would rather do them myself than let someone else take the reins. That isn't how it works with God. It also isn't a good way to live life.

So, while at a retreat this spring, I sat down outside and just asked God what He wanted to tell me. I ended up writing this poem as I took in the beauty of God's creation and His purpose for us here on earth.

We aren't meant to be obsessed with control. Instead, we are called to trust the Lord with His plans and allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through us.

That's a challenge for me, and I would encourage you to think about this as well. Today's question is this: What areas of my life do I need to surrender to God?


-------------
I later turned this poem into a song (see the link at the bottom of this post). Please pardon the poor quality of the recording.
-------------

Release
By: Jennifer Lewis, April 30th, 2016

A distant hum, familiar breeze
I seek You, Lord, here on my knees
Please be gentle

Heart on display, head in my hands
Distractions whirl around me
Built on rock instead of sand
Yet I am weak

Cars rush by, people wave
Yet inside I long deeply
To know You hear me, think I'm brave
Are You proud?

Let go, let go, let go, let go, let go
It's hard though, Lord, You see
Let go, let go, let go, let go, let go
Surrender

Gazing up, beauty abounds
Your faithfulness unrelenting
Singing now, hearing majestic sounds
You know me

{I turned this into a song -- listen on soundcloud}

No comments:

Post a Comment